Saturday, March 17, 2012

Brazen Silver Memories

Did I ever tell you I used to play the trumpet?
I did, it's true.
Now you might not think the trumpet is
a very cool instrument,
but I assure you, back in the day,
I was quite good.

I played for years, you know.
I played all sorts of music
for all sorts of people.

I screamed on high B's
when the music would burn.
I tore through the scales
and I shouted for more.

I pondered the blues
when my heart was in tune.
I brooded and crafted
and sang through the brass
like a lovelorn vagrant.

I wrote in the air
with invisible ink
that could be seen for miles
if you cared to listen for it.

I played galas and galleries,
dances and dinners,
basements and theaters,
ballparks and bars.

Life was my music
and music was life
and one could not exist on its own.

To me,
those times are the fondest of memories,
though I frequently wish they were not.

For who can give up their life and soul
and not feel a little wistful at its passing?

Written by David Briggs, 2011.  First published in The Catalyst Online Vol. 5 (The Catalyst Literary Magazine Vol. 35 Issue 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment