Wednesday, August 8, 2012

If I Could Write a Jazz Etude


First published in The Catalyst Online Volume 6

If I could write a jazz etude
And play it Kind of Blue,
I’d spend A Night in Tunisia
With Plenty of Money and You.

Van Morrison would sing a song
As we would go Moon Dance,
And Django would play Nuages
When we arrive in France

We’d spend our April in Paris,
We'd Stomp at the Savoy,
We'd walk like Basie – Straight Ahead
In Autumn Leaves of joy.

We’d see the American Patrol
When we finally come home.
You’d show your Bossa Nova Soul,
But In a Mellow Tone

You’re the Girl from Ipanema,
My Funny Valentine.
I’m a Boogie Bugle Boy
who wants you to be mine.

I’d say that I am In the Mood
to Sing, Sing, Sing some more,
but I can’t write a jazz etude.
You’ve heard it all before.

No comments:

Post a Comment