Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On Writers' Block

Part of what helps me write every day is keeping in mind the fact that not everything I write has to be good or even presentable. My life has often been plagued by this notion that I either have to do something write or not do it at all, and I think I know a lot of people like that. It is the reason why the better portion of my education was dominated by the ever-present spectre of missing assignments, and it has always been the main thing that prevents my writing. I never felt that I could write unless I was inspired, unless I could figure something out in advance, unless I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I don't mean to say that I outlined, because I never did, but there was this unspoken agreement with myself that I should never produce anything that couldn't be shown to someone else.

I don't think I am the only person who has felt this way. So many people I have met have told me about their great idea for a book, or a play, or a seven volume series, but they always seemed reluctant to start until the moment felt right. The problem, however, is that the moment almost never feels exactly right. That sort of mindset will prevent you from almost anything you want to do. And I know that it's difficult to get past. Goodness knows it still stops me from taking action on a lot of ideas or emotions that I have.

But at least in the area of writing, I have gotten past that feeling. Even if I have nothing to write, I can sit down at a computer and write four hundred words on the fact that I have nothing to write. It's a rather freeing thing. I only regret that I had not found out the key to successful journaling in the past. For me, that key is a comfortable medium (in this case, computer and keyboard) and a suppression of critical instinct if needed. Anything you write can be revised. Ideas don't always come on their own; most of the time you'll have to force things out. And that is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment